Monday, June 16, 2008

The Sun

Today while watching lizards race down the side of the house I started thinking about the sun. By ten o'clock today it had reached one hundred degrees. The sun and the heat, I don't consider them a lot. I suppose I just take them for granted because I'm used to them. I don't normally crave sunlight. It is something like oranges. I love oranges, and I enjoy them, but I don't think of them often. I see them on the tree out back quite often, and even when the tree blossoms and I can smell their flowers I don't think of oranges all the time. I only think of oranges in the winter, brilliant and dripping.

In Ireland I definitely noticed a lack of sun, I craved it. Like a lost moth, I fluttered around lamps and gravitated towards brightness. I bought daffodils because I loved the color yellow against the dark gray sky.

No comments: